Adult Support and Advocacy provides crucial services and advocacy for people with long-term care needs in the following ways:
· Individuals (both staff and volunteers) are assigned as legal guardians for adults who cannot care for themselves and have often encountered abuse or exploitation
· Guardians look after the emotional, social, financial and physical well-being of these vulnerable adults
· Guardians advocate for the least restrictive living environment possible
· Guardians often make end-of-life decisions as well as funeral arrangements
· Trainings are provided to adult care homes to improve their services to residents
· Staff advocate to improve funding for adults with long-term care needs and mental illness
· Services are organized into three programs: Adult Guardianship Services, Services to Adult Care Homes and Volunteer Guardianship Program—Lorain County
Adult Guardianship Services and Volunteer Guardianship Program provide legal guardians to serve as concerned caring advocates and surrogate decision-makers for indigent, incompetent adults. Adult Guardianship Services serves with those in Cuyahoga County and Volunteer Guardianship Program serves with those in Lorain County.
Services to Adult Care Homes provides education and support for group home operators and their residents to encourage a more caring, competent, safe and cooperative living environment.